|My daughter just started to play Candy Crush Saga|
Beating the record of any video games in smartphones and Facebook is King.com's Candy Crush Saga... the most played by almost 10M people everyday, most popular game overtaking Zynga's Farmville 2 and Texas HoldEm Poker with more than 10M downloads, over 30M likes on its application page and most successful game application listed in the top 5 grossing iPhone and iPad apps. It presently holds a record of 55M times played a day across Android and iOS.
The game was released 14 November 2012 and for a span of only 18 months, King.com has become the second largest game developer in Facebook platform.
So, what's this game all about? It's about matching candies with different colors. The game is a variation of "match three" games.
- Each level has a different shaped game board (the maximum game board size is 9 by 9) filled with candies of three to six different colors and sometimes obstacles.
- The basic move of the game consists of swapping two candies' positions to align sets of three of the same color, whereupon they disappear, causing candies above them to collapse into the space left behind, often resulting in chain reactions.
- Moves and alignments must be horizontal/vertical. The level's objectives must be met before the player runs out of moves (or time on timed levels); in each case, the player must earn enough points to get the first star (out of 3) in the scoring system.
Five different types of levels
- If the player succeeds in reaching the goal in the Jelly, Ingredients, or Candy Order levels, the game does a "Sugar Crush", starting an automatic bonus round where the player's remaining moves are used to increase the score through creating various special candies on the board.
- If the player does not gain 1 star from his or her score, a life is deducted. The player is given a default number of five lives, with each life restored after a half hour.
- The player has the option of asking friends for more lives, buying a life restoring item, buying a special item that expands the number of lives the player has by default, or setting the date forward on their device to instantly get more.
Levels are organized into "Episodes" of 15 levels each, with the background themed to a certain setting. Currently (as of 30-May-2013) it contains 395 levels in Facebook version and 350 levels in smartphones version.
These are created when combinations of four or more candies of the same color are matched together.
When four same-colored candies are matched in a row or column a Striped Candy is created. The orientation of the stripes depends on the way the four candies were aligned. For example: creating a Striped Candy of 4 of the same color in a row creates a VERTICAL Striped Candy, while creating a Striped Candy of 4 of the same color in a column creates a HORIZONTAL Striped Candy. When this piece is matched, it will clear all of the candies in either a horizontal or vertical direction. On cascading matches that result in creating a Striped Candy, 4 identical candies in a row will create a HORIZONTAL Striped Candy and 4 identical candies in a column will create a VERTICAL Striped Candy.
When five same-colored candies are matched in either a L, T or + shape formation a Wrapped Candy is created. When this candy is matched it explodes twice in a row, clearing a 3 by 3 box around itself each time.
When five same-colored candies are matched in a single line a Color Bomb is created. When this candy is swapped with any other candy, all candies of that color are removed from the board. Sometimes when two color bombs are switched all candies on the screen are cleared and replaced
This candy can be purchased by the Yeti Shop, and if they are matched they will clear 3 candies (with jelly) at random from the board. It can even clear the jelly behind the obstacle candies. In "Sugar Crush", a swarm of Jelly Fishes will clear out candies depending on how many moves left (3 Jelly Fishes per remaining move) after the game is cleared.
This candy can be purchased by the Yeti Shop, and if they are swapped either horizontal or vertical, it will roll from the direction where it last swapped making the 2 other candies convert to Striped Candies in the other direction and triggered its effect. If it is matched on 2 of the same color, it will create 3 Swapped Candies instead (the same goes when it can be hit by the effect of Striped Candy).
|Candy Crush special candies (image not mine)|